Date: Sunday, August 11, 2013
In-Game Date: 998 AC, 36th day of Summer
NOTE: Greg/Fury was not present for this game. Fury was just in the background for most scenes as a result.
We began on the River Queen, the riverboat that was ferrying most of the party to Brakana, capital of Coventry. As their ship arrived, Jak also arrived at the dock with the carts (turns out he made MUCH better time than expected, like due to the drakes).
Some pirates attacked as soon as the party was visible on deck. It was a hard-hitting fight, with Akara going down below 0 HP before things were through (FYI, the elemental, pirate, & dragonborn commandant were all lv7, with the snake at lv5, so that’s pretty standard for a challenge at your level. Then again, that dborn soldier was able to hit hard on two of the not-beefiest party members, so that likely skewed the carnage total). The party killed them all (eventually), so there were no interrogations. However, they had some Cappadocian-stamped coins on their person, which sent more suspicions to the idea that the Cappadocians were already on the move.
The party quickly sent off some messages (via an animal messenger, the Cartographer’s Guild, and Nikolai’s ghost dragon) to parties that they wanted help from, including:
- A raven-born message to Mother Superior Mary Eunice of the Empty Aviary, asking her to send her 30 on-call “agents” (Raven Queen Avengers) to protect the High Lords from assassination.
- A Cartographer-teleported message to Ionia, asking King Imperius & General Featherin for help fighting the undead
- A Cartographer-teleported message to Dambrath, asking the Church of Pelor for help fighting the undead
- A message to the ghost of Io’s angel, asking for any help from the Arkhosian-minded dragonborn of the north.
The party met up with some street urchins who’d been paid to help them (by the rakshasa Kalarel, no less). The urchins (“The Roofrunners”) knew lots about what was going on around town, including two big dinners with various high lords… one hosted by Darius Malfeather with Thayan guests, the other hosted by Paulo Maximo with guest from “New ”/wikis/history-check" class=“wiki-page-link”> Krynn". The party split-up at this point, going off to find various High Lords to speak with before one of the two big dinners that night.
- Akara went off to speak with Kalarel, who’d sent her a personal invitation. They talked about… stuff. Kalarel claimed to be a friend, and offered his considerable skills at illusion magic to aide Akara if she decided to attack the Thayans or the minotaurs.
- Jak went to speak to Kane Dixon, and had a strange psychic experience with the High Lord that somehow convinced him that the shadowy being was somewhat on their side.
- Praxis & Ginger went to speak to Lady River Shadowmantle, who made it clear that she was not pleased with the presence of Valindra Shadowmantle. She also arranged to allow the party to borrow some flying carpets with the unspoken understanding that they might use them to attack the Thayan airship.
- Nikolai met with a new sidekick, the Dragonborn kid “Wyrmling”, who is a huge Arkhosia fanboy and also somehow breathes radiant energy as his primary breath weapon.
- Nikolai also sent out several (expensive) missives via the Cartographer Guild’s teleportation network to ask for help from other forces the party has met with.
The dinner at the Malfeather estate was attended by Praxis, Ginger, and Jak. At this dinner, they learned that Valindra was offering to take the Cappodocian undead with her to Thay in exchange for transporting more
slaves servants from Neverwinter to Thay.
Ginger also met with “Elmer”, an ancient treant on the Malfeather estate, who had been given a secret “Blood Magic” tome infused into his leaves by Baba Yaga herself. Ginger read the text, making her one of two people (the other being Lord Malfeather) to know this ancient and horrible magic in this Realm. Jak met with several elemental spirits, who explained that Lord Malfeather was a descendant of an Archfey, and that many fey creatures followed him out of respect for his blood.
The dinner at Lord Paulo Maximo’s estate was attended by Akara, Nikolai, and [Fury]. At this party, the group learned that the Minotaurs of “New Krynn” would either defeat the undead in Coventry (in exchange for a land to call their own) or go to the Line to attack the orcs & free up the Coventry soldiers to come home (in exchange for the teleportation circle codes to the Line).
After the parties finished and the various party members had their interactions with different high lords, the following high lords were on-board with the party, or at least willing to come to the late night meeting:
Bob Mapleleaf: half-elf Rep of High Lord Gortonsalt from the Cannery Coast
Sharda Hammermain: dwarven High Lady of Hammermainia
General Coalskin: goliath High Lord of Southeastern Borderlands, servant of 3 Brothers
Indira Darklon: shadar-kai High Lady of Darklon (North 3), warrior who values bravery
Morn Kumon: goliath High Lord of Kumon (North 3), warrior who studies military history
Aggrava Hadron: dragonborn High Lord of Hadron (North 3), warrior who values ferocity
Fingleworth Occident: Gnomish agitator & High Lord of Occidental Edgeland
Kane Dixon: psion, trainer-of-hunters, and High Lord of Dixon Plains
General Robertus Cyroptrix: military strategist, dean, & High Lord of Cyroptrix.
Also falling on the party’s general side were the following:
River Shadowmantle: human High Lady of Eridu, staying home to avoid the appearance of complicity if/when the party uses her flying carpets to attack the Thayan airship
Father Onyx Moradinson: dwarven high priest of Moradin & High Lord of Sonlinnor Heights, who said he had “hours of work in prayer on his anvil” to do that evening.
Mentha Suleimon: Elderly elf & High Lord of Calmleaf Groves, who said he was too old for late night meetings, and suggested that the party get a good night’s sleep instead.
The session ended with the party at Lord Gortonsalt’s estate in Brakana, preparing for the late-night meeting of the other high lords. The assassin Artemis Entreri arrived, saying he’d been paid by a Mr. Deathclaw to serve as an advisor to the party. Then a porter from the Cartographer’s Guild showed up with two reply messages:
- Nikolai, the King has had difficulty gaining support for your request, given what happened the last time Ionia sent an army to fight the undead. However, I am leading a force of volunteers in that direction as quickly as possible. -General Featherin
- Ambassador, my legion is en route. Long Live Arkhosia. -Legatus Detham