Game Date: Sunday, July 14, 2013
In-Game Dates: 998 AC, Summer 20-30
NOTE: Greg/Fury was absent for this session, so we said Fury was protecting Lord Gortonsalt from potential attacks.
The session began with the party being celebrated as heroes. Fresh up from their victory over the 3 witches and their restoration of the flow of creative/fey energy to the region (after a TERRIFYING incident with a certain Grandmother of All Witches), the party was hailed as visionaries and overall awesome folk. While the Halfling Lord Gortonsalt got a little caught-up in his own newly rediscovered creativity (like a super-charged Steve Jobs), his 2nd in command, the half-elf Bob Mapleleaf, tried to get his attention about an urgent matter, but was passed off to the party instead. Bob explained that there were wolf noises coming from the region of Lord Gortonsalt’s family homestead, and that they sounded fierce.
The party rushed off to find Lady Fluffytail outside the entrance to the Gortonsalt burrow, finishing carving “REAP WHAT YOU HAVE SOWN” into the side of it. The party tried to lecture her about how everything was fixed and now she was going to ruin it… but LF told them that it was not her doing. The druid Elmyra had made deals with “a devil-like man who used illusions to hide his claws and smelled like a predator”, and had sent unnatural wolves to attack Gortonsalt’s family.
The party went down to find the Gortonsalt clan slaughtered, and they fought several elementally-charged demon hounds. Immediately afterward, though, they heard a loud storm outside. They emerged to see that five massive ultra-tornadoes had begun destroying the district, and some Arcana checks and Lady Fluffytail’s mention of a name ( Ty-h’kadi) revealed that a not-quite-defeated primordial lost somewhere in the Elemental Chaos might possibly be reaching its hand through to this world (enabled by the recent entry of Bane into the world, which weakened the PRIMAL BAN that keeps primordials out), and those 5 tornadoes might be its fingers.
The party had scarcely any time to figure out what to do, though they knew that they could not stop the tornadoes themselves. Jak privately tried to ask his god, Agni, for help, but found that the only help Agni could offer was either a massive heat wave (which would cause destructive climate shifts across the region) or creating a volcano (which would also be bad). A request to Mr. Lee (via his card) resulted in the information that one soul had been sold to create the storm, so more would be required to end it. Praxis tried connecting her sliver of the World Tree to the Feywild for some help, and a strange elf-faced awkward black bird showed up. He said he would carry messages to “Grandmother”, but that he was there to collect the soul of her new Granddaughter because she’d seen Ginger’s face in her pot, which meant she was likely to die. Eventually Ginger conveyed the situation to the bird, and the bird said that “Grandmother” would want payment, likely in the form of information. The party offered up secret information about gods, and the bird took that offer back to the Feywild.
The (now clearly insane) druid Elmyra showed up with another of the awful demon-wolves, and the 5 tornadoes appeared to be at her command as well… until a loud CACKLE echoed over the storms, and a spinning hut appeared at the center of the 5 tornadoes, spinning counter to them and drawing their bases to the roof of the hut. Baba Yaga, who left her house so she could ride a strange 2-wheeled contraption through the storm while laughing insanely, was apparently keeping the storms busy until the summoner could be killed (which would eventually cause the storms to weaken and dissipate).
The battle with the druid was not a pretty one, with lightning bursts called down fairly regularly and harsh winds blowing everyone everywhere (except Elmyra, who was firmly rooted). By the time the party finally got Elmyra on the ropes, she took some time to charge up a super strike of lightning in the clouds above her, and dropped it on the entire party. Lady Fluffytail, however, saw this coming, and yelled out “NO!” as she leapt from ground to shoulder to head to the air, catching the lightning strike herself, saving the rest of the party, but utterly destroying herself (all that remained was a flaming tail).
The shock of killing her spirit-tied companion snapped Elmyra into semi-sanity again, but when she saw what she had done, she let go of her roots and let the storm take her.
The party then worked to save as many people as possible and control as much of the damage as they could. Some went to fight off the minor storm elementals that had been spawned throughout the region. Others cared for the injured & dying. Others helped people seek shelter in mines that could be isolated from the outside. One of the people Akara saved was a sort of bard who took a shining to her, and over the next week worked with his band to make a song about the experience, calling himself the “Rain King” because he survived the rains with the help of the magic raven lady.
Hear the song here.
Then, about a week later, Baba Yaga came to collect. She invited each member alone into her hut to share with her a secret they knew about the gods. For most of them, the rest of the party was able to watch via Ginger’s phlegm/gelatinous cube familiar, which served as a kind of screen.
- Praxis shared the details about the “Death of Zehir” painting, the bits about the “sword that could kill a god”, and also gave up her “Fortune’s Nod” alt reward. Baba Yaga responded by waving the sword around and saying that it couldn’t kill a god… then putting it back in Praxis’ hand and saying THAT sword could kill a god. She also told Praxis to focus on her
- Jak explained his belief that he is the living embodiment of the tiefling god Agni on this plane, and also explained the undead plague he was sent to stop. Baba Yaga told him that he had messages to deliver, then made him heat up her tea (which was “better, but STILL THE WRONG FLAVOR!”)
- Nikolai told of the location of the lost Archangel of Oghma they had found back in the Underdark. Baba Yaga spoke of the angel with an almost remembered fondness, as if she had known her at some point.
- Akara shared her history connected to Lusemnee, Zehir’s murdered daughter. She also explained her supposed connection to Kalarel, and her fears that she would become a rakshasa death angel of some sort. Baba Yaga told her to splash water on her face if she felt herself becoming a tiger, because cats didn’t like that. She also told her to not to worry so much about herself, because an opportunity would soon arise to deal with a devil she knew.
- Finally, Ginger went in and spilled the beans on the summoning of Bane into the world that the party was accidentally responsible for. Baba Yaga seemed less concerned with the metaphysical consequences, and more curious about whether that boy had ever learned his lessons from that book of beginner swordplay she’d given him.
As the party finished clean-up and prepared to sail south to the capital of Brakana, they received a note from the pirate Blackheart Deathclaw, letting them know that he wished to employ their services in the capital to aide him in taking out a “mutual annoyance”, which the party understood to mean Mr. Lee.
Experience & Treasure Stuff
No big treasure (tornado kind of destroyed stuff), but everyone can now advance to Level 7 and take an extended rest before the next session.
Oh, and Ginger did get an hourglass that appears to collect the prayers of area residents who now worship Baba Yaga… for what that’s worth. I’m sure nothing bad will come of that.
Next Session: I’m on a boat!