October 28, 2012
The various split factions of the party came together just outside of the city of Solaria. Those with the Popess had cleansed the monastery, traveled north to Verdant Fields to install new priests, and returned with the Drow Avenger Ssussun Beluth joining the Popess’ caravan. They also got to witness General Adranus Radian, who appeared to be a war-tried general who was fiercely overprotective of the Popess. The group in Raske had solved a murder mystery, stopped a “ghost”, and further done hero-y stuff before hopping a ride with a military caravan headed towards Solaria.
Entering the city, the Popess was quickly called away on business, but several Cardinals and the Prime Regent of the nation were busy holding a noontime feast for the party (behind closed doors, in an invite-only situation). The party received many gifts from the Cardinals, including a magical tapestry, a supply of a rare metal, some primal sunlight, immortalization in a pro-Pelor song that was ordered into the year’s “Approved Songs of Solar Praise” collection, “special” bags of holding for each party member, and some gold. A high-level wilden druid named Enoch Root crashed the party to give his thanks, give some special Dawn Flower seeds from the feywild, say that he’s spoken to the trees about the party’s goodness, and steal a leg of turkey.
After the feast, Scout saw some “shady” folks headed in the direction of a closed Casino, and told the party he “had to go check on something” (as Johny wasn’t present for this game).
That night, at the All-Races Inn, the party witnessed the tension between elemental citizens and other citizens of the city, though it was more an intensely zealous loyalty to General Adranus Radian, whom the elementals would suffer no insults of. The party also met an aristocratic dwarf from Coventry, Jethro Goldeneye, and his “indentured servant” (cough-slave-cough) Kanye, who looked like the result of a giant & goliath cross-breeding. Jethro was pleasant enough, and said he’d been invited to a special high-stakes gambling tournament at a special casino, the Twilight Imperium, that was only open in the evening. In other news, the party learned all about the new public plumbing system that was being installed throughout the city, though the sewers were currently only connected to the palace, the Cardinals’ houses, the lowest of slums & tenements, and now the All-Races Bar.
Oh, and also Jimmy showed up, saying that the Popess had personally suggested that he seek out the party to learn something. The party asked “What can we teach you?” and Jimmy replied “She said ‘much’.” Jimmy proceeded to get fairly drunk throughout the night, and the party helped him to a safe bed for the evening, hypothesizing that the next morning may be the first in which he cursed any sunlight that might wake him up. [Gained item: clueless follower]
Around midnight, Ssussun came with dire news: The Popess had been assassinated. That wasn’t the worst part, though. Her protector, General Radian, was in a rage, and said that if he did not have the killer’s body by dawn, he would order every elemental creature in the nation to slay every “dark” creature they could find. To avoid war, Ssussun said that if the party was unsuccessful in finding the killer, he would write a note admitting to the crime before killing himself where Radian would find his body and the note. The party agreed to do all they could to avoid making that happen.
Praxis, who had experience with dead deva bodies after her master had given her extensive instructions on the subject, offered to go help with the treatment of the body, which required special consideration to ensure that memories of this life would be available to the Popess’ incarnation (since Lisa couldn’t be with us this game, either).
The party headed to the solar palace, and after going over the crime scene info from Ssussun, decided that the killer might have used the sewers. After a few hours of wandering through the sewers, including a fight with some crocodiles, the party ran into a pixie assassin (the famous feminist known as “The Little Death”), who was in the midst of a deal going awry with some shadow creatures. While some contract she had signed prevented her from speaking the name of the person she’d signed the contract with, the party did learn that it was a powerful fey creature. It appeared that some other part of the contract required the assassin and shadow creatures to work together to slay any threats to the plan, though, because a large combat ensued. The party was victorious, and even found a document in the Popess’ handwriting stating that she intended to put forth one of the male cardinals in her place so she could ascend to angeldom again (though since they saw the shadow creature putting this on a table, it’s truthfulness was in question).
The session ended with the party having the killer’s body and a motive, all wrapped up nice and pretty. Civil war was averted, but whether or not the party had found who was truly responsible will have to wait until next game…
Experience: Everyone in the party received enough XP to push folks up to 6000 total. That means everyone should be level 5 for the next game.
- (1) Tapestry of Light: a 10 ft x 20 ft tapestry that magically shows the sun’s placement at any point in the day, and gradually adjusts to show the landscape around whatever area it’s placed in. Est value: 5000 GP
- (1)heroic song to be sung across Dambrath: “The Living Daylights”, about how Pelor helped the party to slay the undead invasion force, in Pelor’s name, for the glory of the Sun, because dark undeath is evil, so sayeth Pelor. Amen. At least the names of the party members are mentioned once, in verse 3, though the song says nothing about who they are, and kind of exaggerates their devotion to Pelor… a lot.
- (1) 10 lb nugget of Orium, a rare star metal that can only be worked by someone who is both a master smith and master mage. Unworked, it’s worth about 5000 GP
- (1/character) vials of Primal Sunlight, the level 12 version of the misc magic item Primal Element
- (1/character) seeds of Flower of Dawn. These are a little better versions than the gear listed in the book, and, when placed in dirt as a minor action, will sprout and awaken all characters within 20 squares. They also grow warm and glow when brought near the shard of petrified World Tree that Praxis has.
- (1/character) bag of holding. Normally, it’ll take a standard action to find & take out the item you want from the bag… but if you instead take a minor action to say out loud “By the Light of Pelor, I wish to see… (name item)”, that item will appear in your hand as you reach into the bag as part of that minor action.
- 500 GP/character
- Belt of Vim [Kyone/Niki]
- Hedge Wizard’s Gloves [Nikolai/Micah]
- Sandals of Precise Stepping [Akara/Valarie]