December 12, 2011
Our heroes, fresh off a fight with kobolds in the Hunting Grounds, faced off against a young male purple dragon, Zaxon. During the fight, a group of observers on a high cliff were brought into the combat, and Kyone showed further signs of the influence of Yaxavanda, one of the Spider Queen’s handmaidens. Throughout the melee, it became clear that there were several forces vying for control of the dragon, including the observers, distant mind flayers, Nicolai/Micah, and Zaxon himself. In the end, the observers were observed to be allies of a sort, Kyone was subdued, and the dragon was slain.
As the party quickly looted the dragons’ lair, the observers revealed themselves to be Cormyrean War Wizards, from the Interdraconic Thaumaturgy (IT) department. One of them, Roy, is a former student from Karath/Mike‘s school, the Arch Magirium. The other, Moss Treeman, is a wilden who knows lots about mushrooms and has actual mossy hair. Returning to the IT crowd’s giant mushroom home, the party had a long conversation/debate when they were asked what they called themselves.
Their eventual decision: the New Altairian Heroes (NAH).
The IT crowd shared some info with the party:
- Web Drink has only been a goblin settlement for about 10 years
- Yaxavanda has only been in the village for about 7 years
- Teleportation magic is very unstable in the Underdark
- There is a dwarven “settlement” about a day’s journey away where a functioning teleportation circle exists: Forgehome
- The dwarves of Forgehome (and the wizard, Scarwand) are a bit crazy
- As a result of a deal with Yaxavanda to avoid goblin attacks, the IT crowd had to tell a spider if they kept any guests for an extended rest.
- Theoretically they had the means to freeze Kyone in her current state (and not get any worse), but they’d need a lot of help setting up the ritual and pouring magical energy into it.
After an extended process that eventually resulted in the successful placing of Kyone in a crystal-stasis matrix, the party decided to rest. After Roy told a spider the requisite information and the spider turned to crawl off to tell Yaxavanda, the young fey pup Frodo leapt out and ate the spider.
XP: 475 each… total = 1000 (level up to lvl 2 for next game)
- +1 Hero’s Armor-Chainmail (Valarie)
- Fey Gift: Find the Path (Jenn)
- +1 Badge of the Berserker (Casey)
- Bracers of Mighty Striking (Lisa)
- Faerie Field Catalog (Mike)
- +1 Harmonic Songblade (Micah)
- 1000 GP
- fine artwork: statue of dragons fighting over tower – 500 GP value
- Scroll of Protection – Dragons (lvl 5)
- Purple Dragon Commander’s Ring… lvl 13 item + plot: belongs to Obaskyr royal family